Software Engineer Interviews with Zalando mainly focus on Rest APIs, Java Microservices, Java OOPS, SQL.
Zalando is one of the visa sponsor companies from europe for Software Engineers.
- Technical Questions (Theoritical or Architectural) in details
- Explain codility code
- Code review of a Java code file:
- Functionaly working
- Clean code
- Coding style
- Naming convension
- Behavioural Questions
- Handling team conflict
- How to plan a project which has different
Java and Microservices
- Java Microservice Interview Questions
- Microservices vs monolithic architecture
- How does security is implemented in Microservice Architecture?
- When you will choose monolith over microservices? (In detail)
- System Design Event Sourcing
- Design a store stock update API for a highly loaded system.
- Palindrome integer without string, or additional memory?
- Write a function that takes positive integers A and B and returns the number bits set to 1 of the binary representation of A*B
- Fix the implementation of a function that takes an array A of N integers representing the lengths of nails on a wooden board in non-decreasing order where integer K returns the maximal number of nails that can be positioned at matching length after hammering down at most K nails
- Write a function that takes array A of N positive integers and positive integer K, returns the largest even sum of K elements or -1 if there are no such K elements.
- What are generics in java?
- How to make immutable a class?
- What is docker and what is Kubernetes and how are they different
- Postfix notation evaluation
- Decorator Design Pattern
- What are two types of dependency injection?
- The task was to design a tic tac toe.
- Reading data from files and aggregating/grouping and transforming
- Maximum sum subsequence [dynamic programming]
- Given a string of numbers reverse it and return an integer?
- Given an array of nodes that represent a tree, find a subtree of the input nodes.
- How to convert an Optional string to an integer without throwing an exception?
- How to make post idempotent?
- How do you implement security on messages passed from one microservice to another on a messaging system?
- Create a singleton implementation?
- How to have a synchronized counter?
- What design patterns are you aware of and use frequently?
- Are you familiar with Circuit breakers, retries design patterns?
- How HashMap works internally in detail.
- Do you know get function complexity of HashMap?
- You are given a bunch of image names locations dates, sort based on date to generate a sequence number, but the output should be in the order in which the items were received.
- You are given an array of integers to find the index which partitions the array into two with high numbers and low numbers. For example [5, -1, 3, 8,6] index 3 will partition the array to [5,-1,3] and [8,6] all the numbers in the second partition are greater than the first. The solution has to work in O(n).
- String compression using character occurrence count ( “aaabb” => “a3b2” )
- Path simplifier ( “/home/user1/..//user2/./dog/” => “/home/user2/dog”
- Scala future conversion ( def convert(input: List[Future[Int]]): Future[List[Int]] = ??? )
- Pascal’s Triangle
- How the browser works?
- What’s the difference between reflow and repaint?
- Strings are immutable, comment, please.
- How to write code that ensures Thread-safety.
- Write code that finds if two strings have the same chars (including quantity).
- What is Idempotency in rest API? How to implement?
- What is a Rest API and what is the difference between out and patch
- Write a Rest API?
- Implement get and set in Rest APIs?
- How to document Rest APIs?
- What is REST API?
- REST vs SOAP
- Design a rest API?
- How do you implement security in Rest APIs?
- What is having in SQL?
- Second largest salary from Employee table.
- An SQL query using not in operator
- When to use NoSQL database vs SQL (Relational) database?
- How does scalability works in cases of NoSQL and relational SQL, what are the ACID properties of transactions?
Behavioral Questions at Zalando
- In positions you found yourself as a tech lead, what do you feel are your strengths? What do you feel you owe to the success of the project? How did you impact or contribute to that?
- Why do you want to work for us? how do you keep yourself updated?
- What do you want to improve in yourself?
- What role do you see yourself in the future?
- How do you provide feedback to team members?
- How do your team members rate you, biggest achievement, etc.?
- What are your skills, experiences, working biography?
- How do you prioritize speed and quality?
- How do you resolve conflict between different teams?